elected membership process
2021 Application process for Elected membership
Please read the information below for 2021.
The application form will not be accessible until August 1st.
The Society of Canadian Artists call for Elected membership opens August 1st and closes on September 30th 2021. Successful applicants will be notified by November 1st. Elected membership is open to all professional artists who are either:
1) A Canadian-born citizen living in Canada, or are temporarily or permanently living outside of Canada.
2) Born outside of Canada but have become a Permanent Resident and currently reside in Canada.
The following is provided at this time for your information only, and is subject to change. Applications are not being accepted until the call officially opens August 1st.
Important Dates and information
- Application Window: August 1st, 2021 to September 30, 2021
- Application Jury Fee $75 (non-refundable, subject to change), payable through PayPal
- Your application must include images of 10 works that have been completed in the past 3 years
- Your CV must include all the required sections included below.
- The application for Elected membership is to be submitted in English.
The Jurying Process
Elected membership is a juried process. Your work and experience will be adjudicated by five Elected members from across Canada who represent a wide variety of experience, medium and style.
Jurying Criteria - Artistic works
Applications for Elected membership will have their work assessed on the following criteria
- Demonstrates technical excellence in the chosen medium(s)
- The work submitted has an overall cohesiveness and displays consistency in thought & style
- Has a uniqueness or originality in style or subject matter.
- Is well composed, commands good use of design elements and has an area(s) of dominance
- Good use of color, value, shape, form, and contrast
- Has an impact that evokes a reaction or commands the viewers’ attention
Jurying Criteria - Curriculum vitae (CV)
Your artistic experience and background are given as much consideration during the jurying process as your body of work. As part of the submission process you will be required to submit your CV which must contain the follow 11 point sections. Save the file named as: firstname_lastname_CV.pdf
NOTE: YOUR CV MUST BE PREPARED AND SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH
- Professional Development: Include art education, training, major workshops attended, etc.
- Memberships & Affiliations: include only those art associations that were obtained through the process of jury or election.
- Exhibitions: limit information to last 10 years
- Galleries, Public/Private collections: List galleries you’re are associated with, and any major corporate or public collections that have collected your work.
- Awards, Public Recognition & Other Accomplishments: limit award information to the last 10 years, other artistic accomplishments that have not been noted elsewhere on this application.
- Publications: list any publications your work has been featured in, written articles, books, etc
- Contributions to the Artistic Community: Include art related professional experience such as teaching, instructing workshops, volunteerism, jurying experience.
- Personal contribution to the SCA: A brief statement on how you would, if accepted ans an Elected member, personally voluntarily contribute to the work of the SCA. If possible, list specific areas of expertise you may have such as workshop coordination, exhibition coordination, website knowledge, etc.
- Biography and Artists Statement/Vision: Keep the two separate. Combined maximum of 400 words. Include a vision of where your work is and where you want it to be in the future.
- Motivation for becoming a member of the SCA: A brief statement on your reasons for applying for Elected membership, including how you heard about the Society of Canadian Artists.
- Introduction Statement & Image: Should your application be successful, this statement will be included in the SCA newsletter, the SCA website, and a slide show introducing newly Elected members at the SCA Annual General Meeting. Also, please indicate which one of your 10 images you would like included with this statement.
entry conditions and image specifications
Applicants must verify that their submitted work meets the following conditions and ensure their image files meet the specifications as noted.
- All work must have been completed with the last three (3) years.
- All work must NOT be copies or derivatives based in any way on other copyrighted or published paintings, photographs or other artistic works.
- Digital files must be in JPG format and be PC/MAC compatible. When opened, only the image of the artwork should show (cropped with no frame, no mat board or extraneous background showing).
- Image files should have a recommended width of 1920 pixels but no smaller than 1200px or larger than 2400px, saved at the highest possible quality.
- The file size should be in the range of 1.0MB to 2.5 MB, depending on the amount of detail.
The Society of Canadian Artists uses a 3rd party online submission system called EntryThingy. When you proceed to the submission system, you will enter your submission on their site. You will need to have, or create, an account on EntryThingy in order to submit your entry. Also note that EntryThingy is an English only site.
Jury results are typically available within a month of the application deadline. However, because our jurors are from across Canada, there could potentially be a short delay.
Should your application be successful, your annual membership fee for current year of $105 (subject to change) is due immediately upon notification.
If you have any questions regarding the application process please send an email to email@example.com
Before proceeding to our submission page on EntryThingy please use this checklist to ensure your have everything ready.
- Your English language 11 point CV, saved in PDF format, named as outlined above.
- 10 images of your best work, in JPG format, following the size and naming convention outlined above
- Your credit card or PayPal account to pay your non-refundable $75 jury fee.
We hope to see your application this fall!